11/1/13

Kalends November - Samhain - All Saints


This is a tree I've been admiring on my somewhat daily walks around Jamaica Pond.  With my animistic worldview, I can't help thinking it's a feminine spirit.  So I paid her a visit this blustery morning, all the leaves blowing past us, and paid my respects.  It feels like the start of a new year.

This is where the veil between the worlds is supposedly at its thinnest, which is why we take this day to think about our departed, the spirit realm, the saints above, anyone we want to commune with who isn't in this world entirely.  I'm thinking of my grandparents and playing the song "La Paloma" to bring their memories closer to me.

Summer is completely over, the harvesting is pretty much done.  Now to hunker down for winter and use this dark half of the year to preserve what we've got and plan for the lighter times ahead.

No comments: