6/11/10

A misty day today. Every day when I walk from the Bunker Hill T to the office, I pass by North Point. It's been slated for development since at least 2001. Back when I was going to be an urban planner, one of my projects at Harvard GSD's Career Discovery Program was to make a design for North Point.

A few parts have been developed, but I've slowly fallen in love with the parts that are still "wild". I have to put "wild" in quotes because this whole area was originally a swamp. Then a rail yard. So it's hardly in its natural state. Every time it rains, I think the swamp tries to come back. The vernal pond you see below had dried up, but it came back with the recent rains.


I like to imagine what it's like to be a small creature on that rock at the edge of it. On my way home today, I think it was a cardinal roosting there. It flew away before I could photograph it. The light to the west was sublime.

As I was nearing home, these lilies just jumped at me. Today has been a good day. I'm off to walk the dog.