11/5/13

Halfway through Fall


We've reached the halfway point between the fall equinox and the winter solstice.  We've also just set the clocks back, so it's just that much more obvious that we're in the darker part of the year.  Still, this has to be the longest foliage season I remember.  It's still really beautiful, if cold.  I'm lucky to live near Jamaica Pond, where I can observe the seasons when I'm in the city.

We've been at Willowbank for four years now and I think that's how long it takes me to really get used to a place.  I used to walk the Forest Hills Cemetery regularly, and before that the Arboretum.  Both of those are still nearby, but I circumambulate the Pond most frequently.  The trees are starting to reveal their personalities to me.  The other day I noticed for the first time that there are black walnut trees about.

In addition to passing the mid point to solstice, today was also the mayoral election for Boston.  This is the first one in a long time that's counted, so I made sure to vote.  I won't reveal my inclinations here, but I will say that the change is long overdue and that either candidate will bring strengths to the office.  Voting will always make me think of my grandfather, who was jailed in Haiti for requesting free elections.  I'm not thrilled with the state of our democracy, but I'll never take it for granted.


No comments: