11/3/13

A walk in our woods

Life in Jaffrey can be busy.  Today I gathered kindling, split some wood (with a contraption, not the old-fashioned way), did laundry, weatherised some more windows.  But it's not all toil.  We took some time this afternoon to walk through our woods.

Our property is on both sides of the road.  I've taken to calling the part across the street from the house the West Bank.  I don't know why, besides that it's west of the road.  We've cleared a field there, two really, but there are still acres of woods.  Our neighbour Charles has been creating trails in the nearby woods for years, and I'm delighted that this summer he cleared some trails on our land.

There are lots of cool stone walls, some with remnants of barbwire.  The swamp is still no-go, but there is a clearing with large stones at the very western edge of our land.  I don't think it will ever get old to walk in my own woods, though I'm happy that they connect to other woods now, too.  The more the merrier.

After our walk, we spent the half hour before sunset creating a giant woodpile for burning.  We plan to have some pretty cool bonfires for the winter solstice!  Stay tuned.

No comments: