4/20/08

Ponkapoag

Yesterday T & I decided to take a walk around Ponkapoag Pond in the Blue Hills. The forecasters had been predicting a rainy day, so the sunny blue skies were a welcome surprise for the morning. One of the numerous advantages to living in Jamaica Plain is our ready access to so many great outdoor areas. Then again, metro Boston is brimming with great green spaces.

I was rather taken with this rock right away, when we'd come down the hill closer to the water. I feel like I just need to know the right language and I'd be able to read whatever it's trying to tell me. The grooves do seem to tell of water that flowed along some mud, but why do they also make me think of flames?

This is the reading stone's neighbourhood. We're still in early spring, so the splotches of green are really vivid against the grey. Mind you, in places like the Arboretum, many of the trees are in full flower.

This was basking in the sun right in the middle of the path. Somehow I'd walked right past it without noticing, so I guess it decided to notice Trevor and lunge at him. And yes this picture was taken using the zoom feature. It's not until we got home that we broke out the Audubon Guide and identified the snake as a Nerodia sipedon, a Northern Water Snake. Not poisonous, but who wants to be bitten by a snake?

Here is the attack victim recovering and reflecting on his luck.

And here's some joker who drags himself about the region wearing funny hats and orange, pondering the meaning of the word isolation, which comes from the Latin word for island, which makes said joker wonder what's so bad about islands & what's with the negative connotation?

This was marked on the trail guide as a boardwalk through the bog at the east end of the pond. I had pictured something a little more substantial, that wouldn't soak my new sneakers in Atlantic Cedar tea, but still found myself captivated by this little path. The boards were mostly steady, but occasionally sank under our weight. I'm looking forward to seeing how all this scenery changes over the seasons.

No comments: