4/1/08

Happy New Year!

Well, in the old (really) old days, this would have been the start of the year. What better day than today to start a new year? It's spring, despite the bare trees and gray skies. This morning as I walked up the hill to the cemetery, I noticed that the brambles have gone from being stick brown to having just the faintest ghost of green hovering about them. When you look directly it's hard to see, but there nonetheless.

I came into the office this morning after a long weekend away. It was nice to be back. I like the hubbub and the interactions. Apparently our society has reached the point where most people hate their jobs, or so I read somewhere. Thankfully I am not among those people. I love my job as much as I love a nice crispy apple. Really, there aren't many things lovelier than a crispy apple, especially if you've grown up on St. Thomas, where crispy apples are heartbreakingly rare. I don't know how I came to deserve such good fortune, but I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can. And what do you know? They had crispy green apples at the gym today!

But enough of this giddy exultation. The sky was moving today, rainy but warm. Momentous. I lost my uncle on Easter, one of my dearest friends lost her father on Good Friday. It's sad, too sad. So no resolutions for this new year, just hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a very nice obituary on your uncle, he must have been a very special person, please give my condolances to your family. -Lauren