11/9/13

Still harvesting


Though gardening season is pretty much over, I was still able to harvest some veggies today.  Beets, carrots and turnips today.  I think we can look forward to cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts.  Everything that resists frost, I suppose.

It's been very illuminating to discover what grows when, what conditions what.  I'm hardly an expert, and I'm lucky to have the luxury that I don't need to be one.  We discovered a few years ago when we had a freak Halloween snowstorm that arugula can survive thirty inches of snow, at least if it all disappears quickly.

There's also something empowering about growing your own food.  Not that I think we could grow all the food we need - not yet, anyway.  Still, there's something satisfying in a primal way about eating food that grew because you put the work into it.  It's rewarding in a very direct way.  Everyone should at least grow their own lettuce in the summer.  Even just one head.

So the season is ending, or has ended for most things, but it's nice to get a last harvest.  I'm hoping to save some for Thanksgiving.

No comments: